Baking with Guinness may sound strange, but it actually goes really well with chocolate. It provides an additional depth of flavor that adds a slight bitterness to an otherwise ordinary cake. Here, in lieu of a sweet frosting, I’ve opted for a raspberry jam to add some sweetness and fruitiness. I adapted this from a Dave Lieberman cupcake recipe.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 1 stick melted butter, cooled slightly
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream (I used low-fat)
- raspberry jam for filling and powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 9×13 cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, mix together the beer, butter, and vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time and sour cream. Mix until well combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Add batter to cake pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until fork come out clean.
- Cool and serve with jam and dust with powdered sugar.