I’ve been experimenting with pickling recently. It’s one of those things that I’d never attempted and didn’t know the first thing about. I’ve done jalapeños with carrots and most recently red peppers. Here’s the incredibly easy technique and recipe. The peppers are great on a crusty roll with a creamy cheese (we used Danish Havarti) and crispy lettuce.
- 6 red bell peppers, cut into 2-inch long strips
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- Bring vinegar and sugar to a simmer in a saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer until peppers are softened but still intact, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Fill jar with vegetables and top with liquid. Refrigerate and enjoy!